The Shy Knitter

Friday, June 01, 2007

Isn't she lovely....and the sweater is pretty nice too....

I've told you about my 'other life' as a library technician. Well, seems I can't get enough of school as I am now going to George Brown College for Archival studies. We did a field trip on Tuesday night, to the City of Toronto Archives to have a look at their conservation lab. Doors Open was on last weekend, and they still had a display up of different items. This picture immediately got my attention.

I was so taken with it, I asked the conservator Holly if she had any back ground information on it. I told her I was a knitter, and was struck by not only the beauty of the photograph but the sweater as well. She said it was part of the teaching collection (not part of the archives) and there was no information. I then asked if I could have a copy of the picture, she said take it. I was shocked, but immediately said yes. She said she got it at an antique show for next to nothing. Thank you Holly, I truly love this photograph.

Anyway, as far as I can determine the sweater is hand knit and probably dates from the 1920's or 30's. I can see that the top is done in stockinette stitch, but I can't quite figure out what the ruffle is done in. If I can find me some time this fall, I would love to have a go at replicating it.

If you know anything about the woman, the sweater or the picture, please let me know.

P.S. I love the ring on her pinky too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home