The Shy Knitter

Monday, January 29, 2007

Noro, oh Noro....where art thou oh Noro.....

Well, you know I have told you about my exploits with Eden on the day after Boxing Day yarn shopping? One of my acquisitions was 3 skeins of Noro Silk Garden (16C) at 25% off. I thought it would be sufficient for a vest, but a few weeks after I started I quickly realized it would take a fourth.
I also had a bit of a time figuring out if it was worth trying to match up the colour repeats. At first I didn't think it would matter, but it did. It looked kind of weird. So I undid what I had knit (the back and 1/2 of the front) and started from the beginning. I decided to knit it in the round, which would eliminate the problem of matching colours up, but made the colour changes much longer. 160 sts on a 5 mm needle gave me a 44 inch width on it (although I think it came up a little bit smaller than that.

In the end, I think the affect is quite good. The colours are in longer blocks near the top (at the back and front) and then get stretched out as you go down. The pattern I was basing this on also called for no edging. Well, it looked unfinished, so I wound up picking up and knitting a ribbed edge around the arms and the neck.

It is a bit tight on me (incentive to loose more weight) but it looks great on Heather who I made it for in the first place. Being wool and silk, it should keep her core nice and cozy which I hope will extend to her fingers and toes that are icicles this time of year.

What's next? Not sure....I bought some fingering weight yarn at the same time that I picked up the Noro. But as lovely as it is (Handmaiden 50% cashmere/50% silk) I can't figure out what to do with it. I don't like having yarn in my stash without a designated purpose, so I might take it back for a credit. My next entry I will let you know what I decided.

Oh, if you are wondering about the back drop, it is in the laundry room. It was the only place that had white light and was truest to the colours in the yarn.

2 Comments:

  • At Monday, 29 January, 2007, Blogger jacquieblackman said…

    I <3 Noro!

    I'm working on a sweater right now in Silk Garden and none of striping is going to match up. Supposedly that is part of the pattern appeal. Hopefully it wont' be too painful to look at it. At least I hope no one tells me it's too painful. :-/

     
  • At Tuesday, 27 March, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it looks really lovely. We are beginning to get some of these lovely yarns in England,but not many. Heather should model that other top! Hope that you are both well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home