The Shy Knitter

Sunday, August 26, 2007

You can take the knitter out of the garden, but not the garden out of the knitter.....

Now that the wedding garter is out of the way, I am haunted by something Eden said to me before she went on holiday to Norway in mid August.....'Maybe the sea silk shawl will be done when I come back'. Hmmmmmmm. I have been knitting like a fiend, and it now measures about 46" in length, but I want to use up all the yarn before I cast off. So on and on and on it goes. I think I can have it done before Eden gets back after Labour Day, but then I got and do something like this.
This is what our front yard looked like 2 years ago. And this is what it looks like after this weekend (the dead tree wasn't done this weekend, it took me a whole summer to do that). Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining. I love to get my hands dirty in the soil, feel the sweat on my brow and and plant beautiful things inthe garden. It just takes away from my knitting time. My mother has often said that knitting takes a second stage to gardening in the summer, and in many ways she is right.

Anyway, what I did was removed the dead grass from one side of the tree to the walk way to the house and made a little planting bed. I have reseeded the rest of the lawn and put down some stepping stones. I half suspect that the lawn has grubs (as I did see a few) but I am not too sure how many it takes to result in damage.
The end result of this planting should be less watering next summer, as these are all draught resistant plants (again, minus the tree.....I think it dried up due to lack of water). If the grass dies back again, I'll make the whole front yarden a flower bed. That is if my knitting doesn't get in the way.


1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home