The Shy Knitter

Saturday, September 01, 2007

TA-DA.......

My first real lace project is finally finished. I received the yarn as a part of a graduation present in June 2006 (from my part time studies at Seneca College) from my mother and sister. Two lovely skeins of Sea Silk in slightly different colourways.

Can I tell you the number of things I learned in this project? First, novice lace knitters shouldn't start with 32 stitch repeat patterns (I wound up with the first pattern I bought with the yarn, which is a 16 stitch repeat). Second, stitch markers are vital, I SAID VITAL, for a lace knitting project. Third, a safety line is imparitive and take your time putting it in!! Finally, that I don't like to knit with silk in the winter, which put this project into overtime as I just finished it today.

I am thrilled with the results. So much so I had to go to Village Yarns and buy a shawl pin to go with it. It cost me half as much as the yarn was worth. Oh well, I deserve it!!!

So now what you may ask? I am onto Friday, which is a knitted ascot pattern. I had picked up
three different types of yarn for it during Romni's summer sale in July (got 20% off). I am starting with this yarn from Norway which is a Cotton/Viscose blend. I also have corn yarn and bamboo to give it a whirl with. The colour in this particular yarn is stunning, and I can't wait to see the end results. Hopefully it won't take over a year this time ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home